Thursday, January 19, 2012

Developing rhythm sense: Football passes


POOF ® football
Most of my students participate in some sort of organized sport such as football, soccer, basketball, etc.. so what I do is incorporate whatever sport is in season at the time into my metronome exercises.  Since were are now in the throws of football season my students and I will occasionally pass a football to varying metronome speeds.  We also pass the ball to different note values.  Most everyone has a football laying around somewhere.  We own two real footballs but I chose to purchase a soft POOF ® football www.poof-slinky.com to prevent surrounding equipment from breaking just in case the ball was thrown too hard. Even though I remind my kiddos to gently throw the ball they sometimes get caught up in the moment and imagine they are throwing the ball down the field to a team player who'll score a touchdown.  Gotta love children's imaginations!  I am no good at throwing a football so I have my football playing students teach me how to pass one.  They thoroughly enjoy being the teacher for a few minutes during our lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment