Skip to main content

Piano-fying "Old Maid" Card Game

 

Hi All!  Today I'm going to share how I Piano-fy existing games.  Do you remember playing "Old Maid" as a child?  I do.  What a nail biter that game was, not wanting to be stuck with the "Old Maid Card"!  

I found these decks at a local store where I live called "Five Below" for $1.00 each.   Woohoo!  I purchased 8 decks to create many levels of games for my students.

I tend to get right to the point with my blogs, so you'll rarely have to read through paragraph upon paragraph about my life and stuff.  So, let's get to it!

I took a card from a deck checking the size to make sure that the pieces I cut from 8x11 white shipping labels (you know, the sticky adhesive printer paper labels that you print addresses onto and adhere to boxes that you mail to people) would fit the cards, cut the pieces out, peeled the wax paper off, and adhered them onto the inside of the cards.  I left the outside of the cards intact as well as not covering the "Old Maid" card. Then depending on what level I was assessing, I drew notes, intervals, musical terms, etc. on some of the cards while handwriting the answers on the other cards like the picture below.  I went to "Lakeshore Learning Center" (a local teacher store where they have laminating machines in the back of the store) and laminated all the decks.  It seems like a lot of work, but it took just an hour or two to create each deck and I created them while watching TV, listening to a podcast or music so it was pretty easy, and I created the decks over a span of a couple of days.  The decks have lasted over 13 years and they're still in great condition.

If you notice in the upper left-hand corner of each card, I drew a colored dot there. Each deck has a different color.  That was to keep the decks color coded just in case they got mixed up or if I wanted to combine cards from one deck with another deck.  

This game can be played with 2 or more students. I normally play the game with just one student at a time.  For the game, I shuffle the cards, pass out all the cards between myself and my student, and place a divider between us so that we could spread our cards out on the table in front of us to easily and quickly find any matching sets without trying to hold all of the cards in our hand at once.  If you're playing with just one student, you both start out with a lot of cards and it's difficult to hold all of them in your hand while trying to figure out which of your cards match.

The Game: Once all of the cards are passed out, all players need to put aside any matching cards they may have in a pile next to them.  Then everyone holds up their remaining cards in their hands. This is where I take the divider away. The game can go clockwise or counterclockwise, you choose. One player picks a card from another player and sees if they have a match for it.   If they do, they put it aside, if they don't, they add the card to the other cards in their hand.  The game goes around and around until all cards have been matched and one player gets stuck with the "Old Maid". 

 If we were playing this game the way it was intended to be played then the person stuck with the "Old Maid" card would be the one who loses the game BUT since it's piano-fied, I tell my students that if the cards they matched together are correct then they've won the game (and have earned a sticker on their prize sheet) regardless of whether they get stuck with the "Old Maid" card or not. 

This has turned out to be one of my students' favorite games to play.  Even my middle school students love playing this game.

If you end up trying this out, let me know how it goes!  I'd love to hear from you.  Until next time, piano blogger signing off.........................









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual Piano Lessons: How to make online lessons fun!

 Hi Folks, Here are a few ideas to make virtual piano lessons fun and engaging for your students! I hope you see some new things that will help generate even more ideas for your own students!  The moment you call something a game your students immediately change their frame of mind!  Game equals fun equals happiness (that's if they've been keeping up with their studying of musical terms and notes).  The "games" help break up the monotony of a lesson (especially one that's online) as well as let's me know if they've been studying what they need to. I hope you see a few ideas that are new and more importantly that will generate even more ideas from you for your own students!  If a few of my ideas inspire you to come up with some of your own please share them.  I'd love to hear from you! 1. Showing musical terms to your students (Picture above) I have terms for every level that I teach.  All I do is set my timer for a minute or two, show one

Teaching with a Piano Mat

So I was wondering what to write about today and I came across my piano mat that I bought 5 years ago.  I had to replace the batteries and thought, "Hmm, I could write about all the wonderful uses this mat has".  I absolutely love this piano mat.  I bought mine at US Toys® in Frisco, TX for $40.  Yes, I know, $40 is a bit steep but I tell you what,  I don't regret this purchase one bit!  This is the first time in 5 years.....5 YEARS that I've had to change 4 AA batteries out and it's in perfect condition!  It's a very well made product. I've used this mat to reinforce the teaching of white notes by holding up letters names of piano keys that my students needed to locate and play on the mat with their feet!  The kiddos can change the way the mat sounds by choosing different instruments like a horn, guitar, trumpet, banjo, xylophone, etc. They have played simple songs from their lesson books with this mat.  I've used it to teach intervals, test s

A Valentine's Day Game: Candy Cup Throw

Hi All!  This week my kiddos will be playing a game I thought up while walking through the aisles of a local "Dollar" store. I LOVE the "Dollar" store!  I bought 2 packs of candy cups and 1 pack each of red and pink plastic hearts. The other materials I used were half a poster board, markers, velcro dots, plus a Valentine's Day cup (from a set of 12 I bought a few years ago). Whether this new game's a favorite among my students or not is yet to be seen but hopefully it'll be a big hit. I'll let you know what worked and what didn't after this week. I adhered 10 candy cups with velcro dots to poster board that I cut in half.  I decorated it with markers, gathered the plastic pink and red hearts in the Valentine's Day cup and "Voila"! The Game:  Each student will be given a cup filled with plastic hearts.  The game itself will be placed either on the floor or on a table 1-2 feet away from them depending on the age of the child; clo