Sunday, November 18, 2012

Note Identification: "Note Slammers" game

I love thinking up ways to help my students quickly identify and locate piano notes. I came up with this game about 3 years ago and have been using it ever since. The beauty of a game like this is that it grows with your students.
All you need for this game is card stock, magic markers, colored sticker dots, and a ball.  I'd suggest laminating anything you make. There's this store near to where I live that allows you to laminate your own stuff for only $.25 a foot!  I go in there at least once a week.  Great place!

I lay down six to seven note cards on the floor.  Each with a  circle sticker adhered to a particular note. Then I hand my students the ball.  I hold up either a letter name or staff note (depending on their level of understanding) and they have to find the card on the floor that matches the card in my hand.  When they find it, I tell them to slam the ball down onto the card as hard as they'd like. 

This game is also good at helping my students visualize the piano keys in their minds.  Keyboard visualization is such an important skill to have when playing piano especially when the students begin jumping all around the keyboard.  They have to have a good idea and memory of where their fingers are without constantly looking down to make sure.


Games like this really help to build visualization skills in my students. This game takes no more than 2 minutes to play. Remember to count your blessing this week! Happy Thanksgiving. This is piano blogger signing off.........

No comments:

Post a Comment